WHR Logo

The Gelert Trust

Registered Charity Number 1171674

Bagnall 3050

Rustenberg Platinum Mines No. 4
Welsh Highland Railway 'Gelert'

History of Bagnall 3050

Rebuilding of Bagnall 3050

10 Year overhaul starts Autumn 2000

Gelert goes to Dinas September 2004

Trip to Beddgelert December 2012

Gelerts 10 year overhaul 2017

About the Trust

WG Bagnal No 3050 was built in 1953 for the Rustenberg Platinum Mines. Hear it is seen at Birkenhead Docks prior to being shipped to South Africa.

Bagnall 3050 was officially named 'Gelert' in 1992. Here, 'Gelert' leaves the shed at Gelerts Farm, and prepares to take a loaded train out of Porthmadog Station.

1995, and Gelert is seen at Gelerts Farm Halt, on its way to Pen-y-Mount

1997, and Andy Hughes drives Gelert and train into Porthmadog Station


1998, and Gelert goes on holiday for 5 weeks at the South Tyndale Railway at Alston in Cumbria

gelert-98-1s.jpg (11530 bytes)
Photo Dave Hughes

Sadly Gelert failed in August 2000, with a leaky stay. As it is so close to the end its 10 year boiler certificate, it may be some time before Gelert goes again.

Seen hear, the bunkers have been emptied, firebars removed, and lastly, water is drained from the boiler. 


Gelert Returns to Traffic Aug 03

"Also available in Blue" !
June 04, Gelert shows off the new blue coat of paint.

October 05, Gelert becomes the first steam loco to cross Penmount Crossing in almost 70 years,


April 06, at Porthmadog Sta

Nov 07 Traeth Mawr Loop

July 08 Pen y Mount

August 09 Gelerts Farm

June 11 Nantmor

Trip to Beddgelert 2012

April 13, Porthmadog Station

Gellert (3050) & sister logon Isaac (3023) at Pen y Mount June 13

Goodbye Gelert, end of boiler certificate June 13

Gelert leaves Pen-y-Mount en route for Statfold for refurbishment April 17

Gelert arrives back April 18 Image may contain: sky and outdoor